Writing Wrongs: Verbing a Noun

In basic terms, a noun is a word for a person, place or thing. A verb is a word for an action (walk, talk, balk) or a way of being (as in, “I feel good,” or “The event occurred.”

Let’s have some fun with nouns that are also verbs.

Couch: He couched his motion in friendly terms. (FYI, for some reason, “sofa” is not a verb.)

Table: The committee tabled his motion.

Chair: He didn’t want to chair the meeting.

Are there other furniture ones?

Animals

Squirrel: He squirreled away his money for his college fund.

Dog: Wilma dogged my steps.

Objects

Shoe: I hired her to shoe my horse.

Dish: He can dish it out but he can’t take it.

Sock: Da guy socked me so’s I socked him back.

Book: The officer booked her on suspicion of pedantry.

Got more? Please share yours in the comments, and use them in a sentence.

**********

Do you have something to say about grammar or English? Use the contact form to send me your pet peeves, or links to flubs you find.

**********

Read about Petrea’s editing services here.

#Writing Wrongs

Comments

1. F. Lagnab - January 28, 2018 @ 08:19

She blogged her way to fame and fortune.

• Petrea - January 28, 2018 @ 08:29

Good one, F. Wouldn’t that be nice?

2. Claire Bloom Benedek - January 28, 2018 @ 09:15

And sometimes it’s just incorrect. For example, we don’t “loan” people money. Loan is a noun; lend is a verb. Someone asks for a loan, and we lend it — or not 😉 — at which point, it becomes a loan.

• Petrea - January 28, 2018 @ 09:53

Yes! Although that one may be in the process of changing. Search google with the terms “define loan” and it gives you both the verb and the noun. But Merriam-Webster is still the standard for American English. They say “loan” is a noun, and I’m sticking with them.

3. William Kendall - January 28, 2018 @ 11:27

Catch- the fisherman’s catch of the day versus the short stop catches the ball and pisses off the guy at bat in the process.

Stop itself is both- a door stop and to stop.

• Petrea - January 28, 2018 @ 14:11

Good ones! I wonder which came first. I’ll bet it was the verb in both cases, but I”m guessing.

4. Lowell - January 28, 2018 @ 13:32

My head hurts. And then an old friend got mad at me and said he was going to see that I got Trumped. Huh?

• Petrea - January 28, 2018 @ 14:12

Hmm. I hope you’re still friends? Or have you friended others now?

5. Dina - January 29, 2018 @ 05:08

What a schlep it was to schlep that crate down from the attic so we could crate it and ship it on the next ship.

• Petrea - January 29, 2018 @ 10:47

I was going to tell you to keep ’em coming, and I see that you did!

6. Dina - January 29, 2018 @ 05:27

Since Italian was kind enough to loan (I mean lend) us such a nice loanword, let’s use it.
    I should really start zibaldoning and make a nice zibaldone.

• Petrea - January 29, 2018 @ 10:48

Kind of like scrapbooking, only better.

7. Anne Louise Bannon - February 14, 2018 @ 20:43

The interesting thing is that I’m willing to bet that some past grammar maven was all up in arms at using some of these words as either verbs or nouns when the common usage had been nouns or verbs. Kind of like my issues with impact as a verb. I see that I’m losing that one. But I will fight on and your grandchildren will think nothing of impact either way.

• Petrea - February 14, 2018 @ 20:53

So true. English evolves. It always has. I hope to be the kind of grammar maven that can allow for that, but it’s not always easy!