Wilma Wednesday: Happy New Year

Wilma sleeping

Usually on New Year’s eve, John and I either stay home or go somewhere within walking distance. This year we stayed home, ate dinner by candlelight, and enjoyed a cozy evening. Around us, the neighborhood crackled with happy, hopeful parties. We could even hear the hum of people camping out over a mile away on Colorado Boulevard, waiting for the Tournament of Roses Parade. Or maybe the hum came from the Goodyear Blimp and all the other aircraft that circle Pasadena on New Year’s Eve.

We fell asleep early. We wouldn’t have heard the fireworks and bottle rockets if Wilma had not notified us.

Wilma: “Get up! Take cover! Bad bad bad!”

Me: “It’s okay, Wilma, go back to sleep.”

Wilma: “IT IS NOT OKAY!”

John: “It really is, Wilma, you can go to sleep.”

Wilma: “BAD! BAD! BAD! NO! I TELL THEM TO STAND DOWN!”

…and she went charging out into the hall to protect her home.

John retrieved her from the kitchen (a room that requires extra protection and surveillance) and brought her back to her bed. He sat up with her for awhile, which was generous of him, considering he hadn’t gotten enough sleep the night before and I’d had plenty.

On New Year’s Day, all three of us slept late enough to make up for dog warnings, sleep deficits, and the hangovers we didn’t have. I think sleeping late was an excellent way to start the new year.

Wilma, John and I wish you the happiest new year.

#holidays#New Year#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday#WilmaDialogs

Comments

1. TheChieftess - January 3, 2018 @ 10:48

Happy New Year!!! Wilma certainly takes her security job seriously! Good job Wilma!!!

• Petrea - January 3, 2018 @ 14:36

She definitely does. I wouldn’t want to be on her bad side. Then again, she approves of 99.99% of all humans.

2. Chris - January 3, 2018 @ 11:05

Kudos to Wilma. She knew by keeping u two up meant a nice sleep in on New Year’s. Just think she kept u guys from dealing w/ the crowds on the street 😉

• Petrea - January 3, 2018 @ 14:36

She is very sly that way.

3. William Kendall - January 3, 2018 @ 12:39

She looks quite comfortable after the Night Of The Terrible Boom Crash Lights.

• Petrea - January 3, 2018 @ 14:37

Well, she has youth and beauty on her side. A Night Of The Terrible Boom Crash Lights isn’t good for just anyone.

4. Lowell - January 3, 2018 @ 13:06

Thank you for sharing this small bit of your life together. It appears that Wilma adds much to your lives and you add much to hers.

I’ll bet you live relatively close to the people who got up early on New Year’s day to reserve a spot along Colorado Blvd. I hope my parents repaid that considerable debt long ago.

Slept in? Really? How many Rose Parades have you seen sitting on the cold pavement?

• Petrea - January 3, 2018 @ 14:40

Lowell, you may not believe this, but I’ve never been to the Tournament of Roses Parade. I don’t much like crowds (you’d think I’d live in the country!). People start camping out along Colorado Blvd. the day before the parade, and I know it’s California but it gets cold at night! We’re about 1.25 miles from Colorado Blvd.

5. foundpoem1 - January 3, 2018 @ 15:07

All the best in 2018, Petrea, John and Wilma.

• Petrea - January 3, 2018 @ 15:08

Thank you! We wish you all the good stuff, too.

6. Barbara and Watson - January 3, 2018 @ 17:10

Happy 2018 wishes to you all from Barbara and Watson. Watson also stood guard against the firecracker noise by getting as close to me as possible! So we pulled on a blanket and had a good sleep!

• Petrea - January 3, 2018 @ 17:33

Aw. I’m thinking of getting one of those thunder shirts for Wilma. In any case, we’ve made a pact with her to stay home on explosive occasions like New Year’s Eve and the Fourth of July.

7. Bonnie Schroeder - January 3, 2018 @ 19:47

Thunder was on high alert as well, and I finally put her in her crate and closed the door. Our poor dogs don’t understand that they don’t have to protect us from fireworks. Sleeping late is a good start. So is watching the Rose Parade and eating Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Coffee Cake, which is what I did–and I did not share with Thunder. Happy New Year.

• Petrea - January 10, 2018 @ 19:47

I don’t know why your comment ended up in the spam-catcher, Bonnie! Now you’ve got me thinking of TJ’s coffee cake, which I love. It’s not too late to get some!

8. magiceye - January 6, 2018 @ 17:41

Happy New Year!

• Petrea - January 6, 2018 @ 18:20

Thank you, magiceye! I wish you goodness this year and always.