Wilma Wednesday: Howloween

Wilma at Halloween

“What is THAT?” says Wilma. If she were a pointer, she’d be pointing. As she is a boxer mix, she merely glares.

This is no ordinary blow-up toy. It’s about 10 feet tall, with plastic “fire” flowing from its mouth. Too bad the photo doesn’t show the flapping wings and the burning glow in the dragon’s belly.

“It’s only a decoration, Wilma.”

“I will kill it!” She pulls at the leash.

“You don’t need to kill it, because it’s not alive.”

“But it is moving. Its tummy is on fire.”

“It’s for fun. For Halloween.”

She’s listening, but she keeps her eyes on the dragon. “What is Howloween?”

Wilma’s smart, but I’m not going to burden her with the history of the holiday, especially since I don’t know all the details. I mean, why do we march around in funny outfits once a year, demanding candy from our neighbors? Why don’t we do it more often? And what does that have to do with pagan traditions?

“Remember last year, and the year before, when the children came to the door and we gave them candy? That’s Halloween.”

My candy.”

“Sweetie, you don’t get candy.”

“I would get candy if you didn’t give it away.”

Excuse us. I may not have to explain the holiday, but apparently I have other things to clear up.

#Halloween#holidays#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday#WilmaDialogs

Comments

1. Lowell - October 25, 2017 @ 11:55

From what I understand canines like Wilma should not have candy. But there are lots of treats that would work just as well. I think even that goofy dragon would work just fine. Kill it, Wilma! There are enough dragons in real life; who needs these things?

That’s a good doggie!

• Petrea - October 25, 2017 @ 12:25

You are quite right, no candy for canines! But Wilma would be just as happy with a dragon or a bowl of peanut butter.

2. Barbara and Watson - October 25, 2017 @ 12:13

Wilma knows what is most important – Candy!!! Especially dog treats! 😉

• Petrea - October 25, 2017 @ 12:26

If she’s good on Halloween, we’ll give her her favorite: a dental chew.

3. William Kendall - October 25, 2017 @ 13:54

Oh, Wilma, the candy isn’t good for you. Now if it was dog treats in the bowl, you’d be all over them.

• Petrea - October 25, 2017 @ 15:56

I’ve seen some incredible recipes for dog cookies with peanut butter and pumpkin and all sorts of good things that she’d love. I might even like them!

4. chris - October 26, 2017 @ 03:46

My walking buddy, Olive is a boxer-pit bull, bet she and Wilma would get along… Olive has seen skeletons in the grass and passes them over, she is oblivious… She’s a runner tho, so maybe she does see but hides her reaction…

• Petrea - October 26, 2017 @ 08:01

Hard to say. So far we’ve only found one dog Wilma is comfortable with. Wilma passes most of the yard decorations, too, but this one was huge and moving!

5. Lizzie Harding Wilkins - October 26, 2017 @ 10:13

Dear Wilma,
    I love your desire for participation.
    Humans are so strange, they have spent years inventing odd events, – to celebrate their oddness.
    Work the odds girl.
    You will clean up!

• Petrea - October 26, 2017 @ 11:02

Living with us, I think Wilma has the advantage in this department!