Wilma Wednesday: Teef

Wilma and her teeth

“Where are my teef?”

Wilma had some teeth pulled.

“The doctor took them, Wilma.”

“Where did he put them?” She licks her gums, looking for them.

“That’s a good question. I should have asked for them. Open wide for the toothbrush.”

“Neuwp.” She clamps her jaws shut.

This hurts her more than it hurts me, which is saying a lot, because I feel pretty bad. Wilma had an infected tooth and some loose ones that had to come out. She’s never had any trouble eating so we didn’t notice until too late. The doctor made me feel better by saying Wilma could have come to us from the shelter that way.

“Please let me brush your teeth. If we keep them nice the doctor won’t take more.”

“He thtole them?”

“No…I…I told him it was okay to take them.”

Her brow goes up and her lower lip goes down. She looks confused and hurt at the same time. “Why did you give him my teef?”

“Those teef—teeth—could have made you sick.” This doesn’t make either of us feel any better. “They had to go, honey. I’m sorry.”

She looks down at the toothbrush.

“What will you give me if I let you bruff?”

“Cheesy pills.”

She opens her mouth. This might be easier than I’d thought.

#teeth#veterinarian#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday#WilmaDialogs

Comments

1. chris - September 27, 2017 @ 03:52

poor baby!… that look is worth a thousand words…(or teeth) hope she can eat solid food soon

• Petrea - September 27, 2017 @ 09:26

She loves eating, so we have to be careful to give her soft food. She seems her normal self, mostly.

2. Lowell - September 27, 2017 @ 06:35

Poor Wilma…I know how much I need my teeth and I think dogs must need their teeth even more. But I guess cheesy pills help. Not me. I don’t want ’em. Give ’em to Wilma. Sheesh!

• Petrea - September 27, 2017 @ 09:27

I wrap her pills in cheese and she manages to gulp down the little glob without noticing there’s antihistamine in there.

3. Sara - September 27, 2017 @ 12:25

Those ears. those eyes with the tangled looking upper lip, do seem to say, “Where’s my teef?” Just as the rest of us would do, she’s probably worrying the holes that used to have said teef.

• Petrea - September 27, 2017 @ 12:31

I hope she doesn’t worry them too much because she has stitches there. But I think she’ll be fine.

4. William Kendall - September 27, 2017 @ 12:52

Cheesy pills are good, right?

• Petrea - September 27, 2017 @ 15:50

They are super.

5. Barbara - September 27, 2017 @ 13:50

Did you go to the dog dentist where I took Abby? Isn’t it amazing how dogs now have almost as good healthcare as humans – though without health insurance it’s pretty expensive, isn’t it?

• Petrea - September 27, 2017 @ 15:50

We went to the regular vet. We used to always have them check Boz’s teeth and he never needed a thing. But Wilma is a whole different story, and yes, expensive.

6. Barbara and Watson - September 27, 2017 @ 16:34

Hope Wilma heals quickly and without any pain.
    Watson had his teeth cleaned a few months ago. I wonder if he’ll let me brush them easier if I give him cheese! He’s already “lost” a few and I don’t want him losing more.

• Petrea - September 27, 2017 @ 18:15

I think it’s okay to give him a reward for brushing. Does he like dental treats, like Milk Bones?

7. TheChieftess - September 27, 2017 @ 16:59

Ach!!! I remember sticking my tongue where a tooth had been…even though it’s been many more moons ago than I care to admit! It’s going to be ok Wilma! You’ll get used to it soon!!!

• Petrea - September 27, 2017 @ 18:15

She’s already eating normally! Can’t find enough food to feed this girl.

8. chris - September 28, 2017 @ 04:06

I re read your post.. I completely missed the part about ‘Wilma may have come from the shelter that way”.. I am surprised they didn’t check her out throughly.. Nowadays whenever I’ve read about shelters or rescue groups the dogs taken in are given a thorough exam… what a shame that she may have been in pain or the fact she compensated in the way she ate her food,.
    Knowing that would make me want to spoil her not only w/treats but lots of hugs and I’m sorry’s.

• Petrea - September 28, 2017 @ 09:03

There are other possibilities, too, and I never thought her teeth hurt her because she loves to eat, and her favorite treats are hard dental chews. But she still gets lots of hugs and I’m sorrys and love.

9. Shelley - October 6, 2017 @ 18:06

Aww, sweetie … your poor teefies. And you couldn’t even get a tooth fairy visit … but cheesy pills sound like a good peace offering. x0

• Petrea - October 6, 2017 @ 19:55

John asked me why I didn’t bring her teeth home. I didn’t think to ask. Poor darling, they were hers. But she loves her cheesy pills.