Wilma Wednesday: HiFido

Wilma, ears back

“WHAT THE POOP IS THAT? BAD SOUND! BAD! BAD!”

“What’s up, Wilma?”

She hushes. We listen together. Tiny squeals emanate from the front of the house.

It sounds like John’s got small children in his office.

Wilma leaps to her feet and charges down the hall, shouting, “GET OUTTA HERE, YOU SCAB-KNEED URCHIN!”

I run after her, not quite achieving a whisper. “Quiet, John’s working.” But she’s already in his office.

“It’s okay,” says John. “C’mere, Wilma. I’ll show you.”

John’s editing audio for a spot he’s producing. He clicks a key on his keyboard and the speakers giggle and squeal. Wilma stares at the computer, transfixed.

“The box is not children,” she says. “Is it a bird?”

“It’s a machine, sweetie,” says John. “I can tell it to make different kinds of noises.” He touches a key and we hear music.

“That is weird,” says Wilma. She shakes herself—head, shoulders, and body—in what we have come to call the flabbedy. “I will go outside,” she says, and she does. Going outside is her solution to things that discombobulate her, like computer speakers, mailmen, and squirrels.

It’s a good thing John wasn’t editing squirrel sounds. Our equipment isn’t insured for that.

#computers#John Sandel#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday#WilmaDialogs

Comments

1. Chris - August 9, 2017 @ 13:38

Lol yep good thing. I just got a visual. Wilma’s a smart cookie she knows where the exit is

• Petrea - August 9, 2017 @ 14:14

That exit comes in handy. We encourage her to use it when someone out there needs to be barked at!

2. phyllis - August 9, 2017 @ 14:56

Trust Wilma…she’s always “on duty”!!

• Petrea - August 9, 2017 @ 20:29

Even at this moment, Phyllis, Wilma hears someone innocently walking by outside and she’s got something to say about it. But she’s worked hard all day and she’s tired, so I’m reassuring her that she can knock off for the night.

3. Barbara and Watson - August 10, 2017 @ 20:46

Thanks for reposting, I couldn’t find W.W. either.
    I think that going outside when discombobulated is a very wise and mature thing to do.

• Petrea - August 10, 2017 @ 21:36

I believe I’ll emulate Wilma right now, maybe go outside and yell a bit. It’ll do me good.

4. TheChieftess - August 10, 2017 @ 22:09

Discombobulation can be very disconcerting….she is wise to seek solace outside in the wild…

• Petrea - August 11, 2017 @ 11:08

Wilma doesn’t seek solace in the wild. The wild seeks solace from Wilma!

5. Shelley - August 13, 2017 @ 00:07

Flabbedy … that’s a mighty fine word, Petrea! Dear Wilma – I can understand how discombobulating our human things must be.

• Petrea - August 13, 2017 @ 14:36

It all accounts for a lot of onomatopoeia around here.

6. Sara - August 13, 2017 @ 17:34

I one time had a German Shepard, a sweet dog I called Buddy (that was the name given to her by the people who gave her to me. ‘Nuther story.) My sister and her infant girl were living with us after she left her husband. We couldn’t have asked for a better guardian/sitter than Buddy was for that baby. One afternoon, I had the radio on in my bedroom when Buddy came trotting in, her furry brow wrinkled with concern. She’d heard the whimpering sounds of a baby in a commercial and had come in to check on “her” baby. She stood in front of the radio, ears pricked and head cocked to the side during the entire ad. I told her it was OK and, commercial done, she turned and left the room. I guess she figured out the difference between ‘her’ baby and the radio baby because she never paid any attention to that ad after that first time.

• Petrea - August 14, 2017 @ 17:10

What a great story! Buddy sounds like a smart, sweet dog.

7. William Kendall - August 14, 2017 @ 12:54

Squirrels would drive her up the wall!

More so than usual!

• Petrea - August 14, 2017 @ 17:10

I’m afraid if John played squirrel noises, his speakers wouldn’t survive.