Wilma Wednesday: The Fourth

Wilma in blue dark

Last year John and I went to a party on the 4th of July. It was nice: a barbecue at a fine home in the hills, with good food, good beer, and good people. We will never do it again.

It was terrifying for Wilma. When we got home she was ecstatic to see us, and from her behavior (and the mess on the floor) it was obvious she’d been panicking all evening. I would, too, if I were alone and surrounded by explosions from all directions.

So last night we stayed home. No barbecue for us, and the beer was only okay. But it was a lot better for Wilma. The pack stayed together, safe in the den, waiting for the storm to pass. From a dog’s eye view, that’s how it should be.

It’s fun to go out, but we can do that any time. I’m not all that crazy about explosions anyway.

#Fourth of July#holidays#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday

Comments

1. chris - July 5, 2017 @ 04:53

Have u tried a Thunder Shirt/Vest? They say those are suppose to calm them.. I’ve seen them at Petsmart… Poor baby, I can imagine the panting and the pacing back and forth.. Our dogs would go crazy w/the fireworks as well… Cats don’t care, for the past 9 years, she is so chill on the 4th…
    Wonder if she would of been calm at the bbq?

• Petrea - July 5, 2017 @ 08:10

There were other dogs at the barbecue, so we didn’t take her. I just know that she shouldn’t be alone on the fourth. We might try a thunder coat next year, but she did better last night with us there. A few times she ran out in the yard to defend us all, and I think that made her feel better.

2. Barbara and Watson - July 5, 2017 @ 08:37

I think fireworks are a waste of time and money, and pollute the environment with noise and mess. Sorry our species is so thoughtless, Wilma, Maybe you could lead a K-9 opposition to such silliness.

• Petrea - July 5, 2017 @ 09:58

I feel the same way. The smoke we saw last year was dismaying. But but tradition dies hard, so we deal with it!

3. William Kendall - July 5, 2017 @ 08:58

Dogs must think of it as the terrible boom horror noise.

• Petrea - July 5, 2017 @ 09:58

I know some dogs don’t even notice it. Either they’re very secure, or deaf!

4. TheChieftess - July 5, 2017 @ 09:46

Awww..Wilma is so lucky to have you and a John for her pack leaders! Such a sweet heart she has.

• Petrea - July 5, 2017 @ 10:00

I know you’ll understand because of Daisy and Kelly; Wilma is such an individual that I can’t compare her to Boz or to anyone else. She is very much herself.

5. foundpoem1 - July 5, 2017 @ 13:24

I don’t care for FW either and other than my heartfelt sympathy for pets, I’ll spare you my lengthy, ranty list of peeves on the subject. (But don’t you know, a local Girl Scout troop was selling the “Safe and Sane” variety outside the market this weekend? Do they sell them now in your neighborhood? Troop leaders can’t come up with any better, educational ways to raise funds?) Meanwhile, several neighbor groups sat on curbs last night (with toddlers and a few dogs in tow) watching as others set off high pitched explosives. Our town actually prohibits the sale & possession of any FW, so they say; but the State of California allows the S&S kind above. Sorry – I ranted anyway. I’m done.

• Petrea - July 5, 2017 @ 14:51

The S&S kind are illegal in Pasadena, but I guess it doesn’t stop anyone. To me it sounds like a celebration of war. That’s basically my rant right there. And don’t get me started on groups that require children to sell things. Any things. Even Girl Scout cookies are ick.

6. Foundpoem1 - July 5, 2017 @ 16:40

No, they shouldn’t be out there selling things any more than they should be trotted around the neighborhood by parents to ask for candy.

A celebration of war and sugar, indeed.

• Petrea - July 5, 2017 @ 19:50

What, no trick-or-treating? I don’t mind that at all, in fact I love it. It’s forcing kills to sell wrapping paper and candy bars to pay for field trips that bugs me. I’d rather pay for that with my taxes than turn children into shills for inferior products.

7. Anonymous - July 5, 2017 @ 18:18

In one town in Italy, they now only use silent fireworks. In
    deference to animals.
    Here on Hudson the same house let off the same M80’s as last year… and the year before…..and before that……makes the windows rattle.
    Must be hearing and brain damage at close quarters.

Nomad, Zuul, and I are always a home tribe on the fourth.

• Petrea - July 5, 2017 @ 19:51

I think those rattled our windows last night, too.

8. Scott Rubel - July 6, 2017 @ 18:54

Girl Scout fireworks? It’s hideous enough they use their cute little faces to try and sell me factory made processed GMO high fructose corn syrup and processed wheat laced with glyphosate. The dissonance this paradigm creates multiplies the evil. When you see a corporate name on a box in a store you understand, at least, how concerned the factories are about your well being and can easily walk away from purchasing it. But when a Girl Scout smiles and forces me to say no to her and feel shitty about myself afterward, what she’s doing is renting out her angelic mask, and her soul, to the corporate death machine, all to support the economy of fake food while not learning to make cookies or be self-sufficient, and self-sufficiency is what I thought Scouts were supposed to be about. But, NO!

• Petrea - July 7, 2017 @ 08:07

Comfort yourself in that she doesn’t realize any of that, not yet. I don’t buy the cookies and I don’t feel shitty about myself (well, not about that). The girl scouts next door to me are taking a trip to Europe. I think travel is an excellent education so I don’t begrudge them their spoils, but I still don’t encourage cookie sales. Let them sell something the world needs. Or shill for charity!

9. Anonymous - July 6, 2017 @ 19:52

I don’t like the shilling for field trips either. We should be offering those programs by other means.

If you love trick or treating then possibly you’ve never experienced brazen teens grabbing the candy bowl from your hands and emptying it before your eyes. Experiences like this ruin it. This past Oct I reluctantly participated in our new neighborhood for the first time in 15 yrs, but rather than candy I gave them mini notepads, character erasers and colored pencil sets. They seemed to like the loot and a couple of parents even said thank you.

• Petrea - July 7, 2017 @ 08:09

That’s pretty cool! (The new loot, I mean.) I might steal your idea this year. Teenagers are always looking for ways to push the boundaries. The little kids in their costumes are darling, though.

10. Shelley - July 16, 2017 @ 00:29

I’m such a spoilsport when it comes to fireworks … I can’t stop feeling for all the poor pooches within earshot who are quaking. Wilma has very fine and caring parents. I’ll bet that beer still tasted all the better for being able to enjoy it with her. Belated Happy 4th of July to you, W and J, dear P. x0

• Petrea - July 16, 2017 @ 08:27

Some of my neighbors still haven’t found their pets that ran away on the 4th of July. I would be frantic. I’m a spoilsport too, but I know I can’t stop the explosions so we just hunker down with our girl and wait them out.