Wilma Wednesday: Adopt a Shelter Pet

Wilma, office, crate, shadows

Depending on your web search, National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day is somewhere between this Saturday, April 29th and next Sunday, May 7th. So let’s just say every day this coming week is Adopt a Shelter Pet Day.

With so many sweet, loving animals living in shelters (please spay and neuter your pets!), why buy at a pet store? Even pet stores are catching on, offering pet adoptions in lieu of sales. In Pasadena, PetSmartCentinela Feed and My Pet Garden offer pet adoptions. If you know of more, let me know in the comments and I’ll add them here.

If you can’t adopt, believe me, I understand. If we adopted a cat, Wilma would…uh…well, she’d kill it, for lack of a better word. No matter how I put it, the cat would be dead. A dog would be just as difficult. Wilma’s come a long way, but this is her home and if we brought in another dog she’d challenge, fight, and win. I won’t lie, when you adopt you don’t always know your pet’s history. But while you learn to be patient, they can learn whatever you want to teach them.

There are other things you can do besides adopting. You can foster. You can volunteer at a shelter. Are you allergic? Fine. You can donate!

The photo above is of Wilma in her crate. She might look sad, but she likes it in there. She has her own room. We call it her office.

“No cats allowed!” says Wilma.

#National Adopt a Shelter Pet Day#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday#WilmaDialogs

Comments

1. Husband - April 26, 2017 @ 09:28

Sistermine’s wise countenance belies un caché vapidité, not to be discussed.

• Petrea - April 26, 2017 @ 11:09

She has her secrets.

2. foundpoem1 - April 26, 2017 @ 09:50

“I vant to be alooone.”

Crates are excellent – we’re big on crate training and over the years the dogs have been, like, sure!

• Petrea - April 26, 2017 @ 11:10

I had to get in first, then invite her to join me. She likes it now, though, and I don’t go in unless I’m invited.

3. foundpoem1 - April 26, 2017 @ 10:15

I love that picture.

4. Anonymous - April 26, 2017 @ 11:10

You’ve been very patient with Wilma and she’s come on a long way. I’m so glad you adopted her and it’s working out. I would never buy a dog, but finding the right one at a shelter isn’t always easy. I, and some of my friends, were rejected by the strict vetting process at the Pasadena shelter. In hindsight I had tried to adopt the wrong dog, but it does depend on the counsellor. I was so lucky to find Abby, but she hadn’t been taken to a shelter – she was on Craig’s list as needing rehoming. I would recommend trying that avenue as well. It was love at first sight with Abby, she jumped into my car right away and never looked back.

• Petrea - April 26, 2017 @ 13:05

Wilma has been a challenge, and she rewards our diligence with her own. She’s smart and she enjoys learning.

Craig’s list has been under legal fire because someone adopted a dog from there and abused it horribly. I don’t know if CL can still do dog adoptions. But needy dogs are everywhere: Craig’s List, Humane society, and all kinds of specialty rescue centers. If you want a particular breed or age, you can find it.

5. William Kendall - April 26, 2017 @ 15:06

Wilma looks quite noble in the light.

• Petrea - April 26, 2017 @ 15:48

She IS noble! A regal, royal, stinky bundle of grandeur.

6. Lowell - April 26, 2017 @ 22:39

Our two kitties were adopted. I like another Golden but at our age, we’ve got all we can handle with the kitties.

• Petrea - April 27, 2017 @ 08:42

I’d say so. Sometimes bringing a new pet into the house can cause havoc. You do service by adopting one, and look at you! You’ve got two.

7. Husband - April 27, 2017 @ 00:34

It is a cracking shot.

• Petrea - April 27, 2017 @ 08:43

Thank you, Husband.

8. chris - April 27, 2017 @ 04:34

Have u checked out susiesseniordogs on instagrm? Started by the gf of the guy who started online blog of humansofnewyork… She started susiesseniordogs after her senior rescue passed away.. Specializes on adoptions of senior dogs… Petra, your heart would melt…
    Kimiko Glen ( Orange is the New Black) is a foster mom and she posted a recent rescue from susie’s and also showed the final adoption of Charley… susie senior dogs lists rescues and groups from all over the u.s.
    The problem w/fostering for me, is that I would get way too attached.. and my Kalei is similar to Wilma.. there’d be mass territorial and emotional chaos.. I can just see Kalei hoarding dog food.

• Petrea - April 27, 2017 @ 08:44

I haven’t seen the instagram, but I love old dogs. Boz taught me about that special sweetness.
      I think I’d get awfully attached, too. But I could do it for the sake of the dogs, if Wilma was amenable.

9. TheChieftess - April 29, 2017 @ 08:09

Both kitties are adopted from a shelter, and Kelly from a rescue… We’ve lucked out. Kelly’s the love dog, and the two kitties are the biggest lap kitties I’ve ever had…and I’ve had kitties all my life!!!

• Petrea - April 29, 2017 @ 09:01

You are good pet parents!

10. Shelley - May 15, 2017 @ 00:12

I’ve seen some of my puppy friends on Insta in crates and gathered they must be good for pooches. I’m so glad you and Wilma found each other and you have the temperament to be patient and discover her ins and outs. I imagine it’s so very important when adopting – well, when bringing any animal home – to get to know their personality and understand that training can do a lot but there are some things that need to be accepted and accommodated. Big hugs, gorgeous Wilma!

• Petrea - May 15, 2017 @ 08:32

You’re so right about adopting. It takes patience (sometimes a lot, sometimes a little), but it is always worth it.