Wilma Wednesday: Get Up!

Wilma, weeds, home, dandelions, back yard

Wilma’s in the back yard, barking at no one in particular, “Git up! Git up! Wake up!”

I open the window and call softly, “Wilma, it’s too early to wake the neighbors.”

“Git up!”

“Please be quiet, or I’ll have to bring you inside.”

She doesn’t exactly button her lip, but she stops exercising it to look at me. I put my finger to my lip and say, “Shh.” I’m not sure she knows this signal yet, but she quiets and lies down in her meadow of weeds. On warm days she prefers it to the dirt patch she made by the garage.

I return to my desk to work. It’s just past 7:00 on a Sunday morning. I know the neighbors on one side of us are already up. On the other side, they don’t hear well and Wilma’s barking doesn’t bother them. But I don’t know the Sunday sleep-in habits of the neighbors behind us. They’re new, and since I don’t hear their dogs right now I assume they’re sleeping.

“Wake up!”

I get up from my desk and go to the back door. We leave it open so Wilma can come and go. Wilma is standing on the stoop, waiting for me. “It’s nice out!” she says. “Everyone should come outside!”

It’s a sunny, bird-song morning. I sit on the stoop beside Wilma. “Thank you, sweetie,” I say.

#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday#WilmaDialogs

Comments

1. chris - April 5, 2017 @ 04:16

Is that stone her shoulder rest? Dogs seem to know best don’t they? 🙂

• Petrea - April 5, 2017 @ 07:52

She has a way of being comfortable wherever she happens to plop down.

2. Lowell - April 5, 2017 @ 05:47

Well, at least Wilma stops barking when you ask. We had neighbors when we lived on the other side of town who had a German Shepherd that barked ALL night…not every night, but most nights. ALL night. I asked them nicely to do something about that, but they refused. So we called the authorities. Even that didn’t stop them. Finally they moved and we got a decent night’s sleep.

• Petrea - April 5, 2017 @ 07:54

Dogs are pack animals, like wolves. Being exiled from the house like that is the worst thing for them. It’s excluding them from their pack. The dog was probably saying, “Let me in! Please let me in!” Poor thing. I’m glad they moved. Too bad for the dog if he had to go with them.

• Petrea - April 5, 2017 @ 08:10

Lowell, I edited the post to make it more clear that Wilma is not closed out. We let her come and go. Lots of people use doggie doors for this. Our method works the same way, sort of. We leave the door open a few inches and she can go in and out.

3. Foundpoem1 - April 5, 2017 @ 07:05

I just got out of bed and Wilma is my first character read of the day. I’ll take it as a good sign.

• Petrea - April 5, 2017 @ 07:55

Aw, thank you.

4. Barbara Cooper - April 5, 2017 @ 08:46

I love the ending. Dogs have a way of reminding us to take a break to be aware of important things like companionship together, don’t they.

• Petrea - April 5, 2017 @ 08:48

They do. Wilma keeps me healthy.

5. Chris - April 5, 2017 @ 11:54

Reading the original post I never interpreted that u leave Wilma out. Even if u did she’d ring that bell incessantly

• Petrea - April 5, 2017 @ 15:04

Ha! You know her well.

6. William Kendall - April 5, 2017 @ 14:18

Wilma looks quite comfortable.

• Petrea - April 5, 2017 @ 15:05

She knows how to relax on just about any surface, almost like a cat does (but don’t tell her I said that).

7. Anonymous - April 5, 2017 @ 15:06

Nice green place to rest and some sun – of course Wilma is right being outside is the best place! She probably also wants some company And that’s a nice invitation.

• Petrea - April 5, 2017 @ 15:25

Wilma is right most of the time, and she’s good company, too!

8. Shelley - April 11, 2017 @ 02:01

Aww! She’s such a love. The dogs around here bark all hours – it never bothers me – in fact, I rather like feeling of having free canine neighbouring security on the job. Even if they are barking at possums, it’s all good noise as far as I’m concerned.

• Petrea - April 11, 2017 @ 07:23

I usually don’t mind it, though I can tell the difference between a “Go away, possum!” bark and a “Please let me in!” bark. When I hear a dog outside, lonely and cold, I can’t sleep.