Nothing But Changes

clouds and sun

Outside, the wind fluffs up the trees and sets off the occasional car alarm. Inside, the dishwasher hums and shushes. Wilma licks herself with slurpy abandon. When it’s stormy outside and I’m safe indoors, I get nostalgic.

Do you remember your first ride on an airplane, or how excited you were to get your driver’s license, or the terrified/thrilled feeling when you first moved away from home? Big moments, big changes—not to mention choices—brought us each to where we are now. And I feel like I’ve made it, I could stay here, cuddled in my blanket in the warm light of the lamp.

But I can’t. I haven’t made it. We have to move on, there’s no choice. Life is nothing but changes.

Remember the old days, when things stayed the same? Me neither.

But I do remember other windy nights, and even a different dog who licked himself with slurpy abandon. There’s that nostalgia again.

What do storms conjure for you?

#clouds#weather

Comments

1. chris - March 31, 2017 @ 04:41

Our Cairn who lived till she was 14 use to run and hide when the winds would whip because usually thunder followed… the panting and whimpering… Metaphorically, the winds can be angry winds especially when they rev up.. which reminds me of the angry times of when I was in a heated discussion w/someone who thank God is no longer in my life ( husband excluded)…
    Your version of the ‘different dog’ is bittersweet.. One that I can visualize w/no problem 🙂
    Did u see the video clip i sent u on Instagram? made me think of the post u did about dogs and blankets

• Petrea - March 31, 2017 @ 07:23

I checked instagram just now and I don’t see the video. Do you remember when you sent it? I might have to look back a few days.

2. Lowell - March 31, 2017 @ 08:41

I dislike storms intensely, especially since living through several hurricanes, including Andrew. They conjure up death and destruction.

• Petrea - March 31, 2017 @ 10:33

I don’t blame you! We don’t get hurricanes here (yet), but our weather can conjure some powerful winds.

3. Chris - March 31, 2017 @ 09:27

March 29

• Petrea - March 31, 2017 @ 10:32

Please tell me your handle again, I can’t find it.

4. William Kendall - March 31, 2017 @ 12:45

I remember sitting on the well sheltered front porch on stormy evenings, watching the lightning. One couldn’t do that on the back porch, because it wasn’t sheltered, and because the winds usually came from that side of the house during storms.

• Petrea - March 31, 2017 @ 12:56

A storm can be magnificent to watch—from a safe place, as I’m sure Lowell would agree.

5. Chris - March 31, 2017 @ 14:22

I sent u a pm. At top right corner of ur Instagram. There should be a red dot click on it. Username. Adventureinart

• Petrea - March 31, 2017 @ 18:17

Thanks! Found it. What a sweet video!

6. magiceye - April 3, 2017 @ 04:31

This photograph is lovely.

• Petrea - April 3, 2017 @ 09:38

Thank you, Magiceye.

7. foundpoem1 - April 4, 2017 @ 07:49

I would like to receive your notifications of new posts, please? Even following only a couple hundred on T I still miss many tweets. Thanks.

• Petrea - April 4, 2017 @ 11:30

Hi foundpoem1, scroll to the lower right of your screen; there should be a place where you can enter your email address to be notified of new posts. And thank you for asking!