A Different Angle

Dividing the Light, James Turrell, Claremont Colleges

Dividing the Light by James Turrell

I don’t have the budget to hop on a plane to Paris or Prague whenever I want to (which is often, I assure you). But John and I made a pledge to ourselves that we will be out of town on my birthday every year, even if it’s only the next suburb over. So far, we’re sticking to our plan.

Any place I haven’t visited before is a welcome change of scenery, and yesterday we got several suburbs away with a visit to the Claremont Colleges. We enjoyed a cross-campus walk and lunch at a café on Yale Avenue. With chocolate/espresso birthday cake, of course.

Not everyone needs to get away, but I do. It’s not only to look at something besides my computer screen, although that’s a plenty good reason. It isn’t always about other points of view or ways of living, though that has validity, too. Getting out of town reminds me that I can do just that. I’m free to go. It is always possible to change everything about my life: my marriage, my home, my career. All of it.

A little trip like yesterday’s helps me look at life from a different angle and see that I am where I choose to be. For me, the key is making conscious choices, examining them from time to time, and choosing them again.

#birthday#Claremont Colleges#Dividing the Light#James Turrell

Comments

1. Katie - March 24, 2017 @ 08:48

What a wonderful way to spend your Birthday! Very cool photo too. Belated Birthday wishes!

• Petrea - March 24, 2017 @ 09:01

Thanks, Katie!

2. William Kendall - March 24, 2017 @ 12:51

It does help to recharge with a little travel, even if the travel is a few hours by road.

• Petrea - March 24, 2017 @ 17:42

It absolutely does, even if it’s just a few minutes, as long as it’s something new.

3. Lowell - March 24, 2017 @ 12:56

Well said and I wish you well in all of your life choices. And I’m delighted to know that you are working to keep this freedom for all of us, at a time when so many would dismember our freedoms – most every one of them!

• Petrea - March 24, 2017 @ 17:54

We had a victory today, didn’t we, Lowell? More to come. The people are speaking loudly.

4. Irina - March 24, 2017 @ 14:25

Happy Birthday, Petrea. All the best to you and many out of town experiences ahead. It is a gift to be able to foresee adventure in every day challenges, I understand so clearly how you feel.

• Petrea - March 24, 2017 @ 17:55

I wish you many more exciting travels as well, Irina.

5. chris - March 25, 2017 @ 04:32

My husband talked about the Claremont colleges, he loved going there doing business w/them… He liked the drive as well as the schools in that area.. As far as getting away, we’d take trips like u do.. little ones basically because we had kids and took them ( at times) on trips– little ones cuz u know how kids can be on a road trip…. Changes are a welcome- shows we can grow and accept.

• Petrea - March 25, 2017 @ 09:34

A long road trip is fun for me, but a small child (or a dog) might not like it. I welcome change, though.