Dirty Windows

spiderweb, window, light

I read somewhere that one of the hardest things about working at home is actually making yourself work. That’s partly true for me; no one is watching over me and it’s tempting to goof off. But I do get a lot of writing done. You can tell because I don’t get any housework done.

Here’s the technique I used to get the photo above. You can try this at home:
1. Allow a spider to make her web as big as she wants to make it.
2. Allow the window to get dirty (best if the neighbors on that side have a gardener with a power mower that kicks up dust). Wait until the spider gets tired of the old web and moves on, leaving behind icky bits of past meals.
(Note: steps 1 and 2 require the same amount of time, about twice the life span of a spider. Also note, this spider web is outside the window, but either an interior or exterior web will work.)
3. Happen by at the right time of day and happen to have a camera. This is crucial, because if you run off to get your camera, by the time you get back the sunlight will have moved on.

No one’s going to criticize your housework. If you’re like me, you are your own worst critic. I think of my windows as art projects. It fools me for a while, until I can’t stand it anymore. Then I take a day off from writing. Like maybe today.

#home#housework#spiderweb#window

Comments

1. William Kendall - March 10, 2017 @ 12:26

I manage to sweep and dust periodically, but that’s about it!

• Petrea - March 10, 2017 @ 12:49

I don’t know how you manage it, William! You’re such a prolific writer.

2. Lowell - March 10, 2017 @ 12:57

Fortunately, my beautiful wife does most of the housework and gets a lot of other things – like writing – done also.

• Petrea - March 10, 2017 @ 14:27

I wish my beautiful husband did most of the housework, but neither one of us loves it very much.

3. Shelley - March 10, 2017 @ 22:22

That’s a gorgeous piccie, Petrea ! Your patience and method were nicely rewarded.

I will use housework as an escape from doing creative work I should be doing! {Heck, I’ll use anything!} But I stop at windows. My theory is that if you leave them alone, you can only tell they were dirty once you’ve actually cleaned them. It’s flawed ~ but I’m sticking with it.

• Petrea - March 11, 2017 @ 08:57

That works! It’s hardly worth it to wash windows, because they’re going to get dirty again anyway.

4. Lowell - March 11, 2017 @ 08:00

Me again. Thanks for your comment on Paree. I don’t get many comments on that blog as it’s pretty old.

But I found it most interesting that you were in Paris the same year we were. We celebrated our 50th Anniversary in June of 2007 and spent a week there. I didn’t want to go but Lois persevered and I’m so glad she did. By the time we left, I didn’t want to leave. I wanted to move there. In face, if we were younger, I think we’d consider trying to move to that gorgeous city. And we were able to see just a fraction of it.

• Petrea - March 11, 2017 @ 08:53

We felt exactly the same way. Realistically, I suppose it’s special when you vacation there because you’re wandering, spending, enjoying. But if I could find a way to live there, I would. Or a smaller town in France. Or somewhere in England. Or…

5. magiceye - March 13, 2017 @ 07:23