Motivation

rusted typewriter, rubel castle

Where do you find motivation when it’s not immediately available? How do you get your butt moving when it doesn’t want to go?

I’m asking seriously, not just rhetorically, because I’ve been lacking motivation lately and I sure would like to be more thrilled about my work. I realize there are bigger problems in the world. Hell, it’s not like anyone forced me to work in the arts.

Have you got a trick to keep you going? Share it, please. Is it a ritual? A favorite song? Coffee? Maybe¬†chocolate chip cookies…new shoes…

#motivation#Rubel Castle#rust#typewriter

Comments

1. chris - February 3, 2017 @ 04:08

I am guessing you don’t have a definite ‘finish date’? Whenever I have a definite date that something has to be done that usually motivates me… Or if its my yard that becomes to look unsitely in my eyes, that usually pushes me into getting out there to clean it up…
    As far as the field you are in, maybe u just need to get away from the house for a few hours? Or go to that retreat you went to months ago to write?
    It could be this weather being cooped up, I know that does it to me…
    Ask Wilma, bet she has an answer..:-)

• Petrea - February 3, 2017 @ 10:05

Wilma usually has a good answer! Today she’s sulking because she doesn’t like the rain.
      You’re right about deadlines. They’re a good motivator, and I’ve got one today. Yay!

2. William Kendall - February 3, 2017 @ 11:57

Sometimes a walk will do the trick, other times circumstances might really motivate me.

• Petrea - February 3, 2017 @ 12:23

I really do think walks are good.

3. Lowell - February 3, 2017 @ 13:24

Take a nap. Have a glass of wine. Read the Huffington Post.

• Petrea - February 3, 2017 @ 13:35

All. All of those. Right now. Excellent ideas.

4. Jean Spitzer - February 3, 2017 @ 14:03

What I can’t do for myself, I usually will do for others. Other than that, whatever renews you. I like walks. I expect Wilma does, too, at least if it’s not raining.

• Petrea - February 3, 2017 @ 15:49

We found a break in the rain and went out today. Doing something for others is a good idea, it gets my mind off myself.

5. Lowell - February 5, 2017 @ 04:25

I meant to ask where you found that old typewriter. Brings back lots of memories. My mother taught me to type when I was about 13…so when I took typing in high school I could already type fast than the teacher. That was fun! Have a super week ahead!

6. Shelley - February 8, 2017 @ 17:20

Ah, I have no gems of wisdom – this is one of my areas I’m always working at. Definitely having lots of projects on the go makes it easier, as I’m great with concrete deadlines. So I impose them on myself as much as I can and try to keep to schedules – I always have a To Do List – BUT I go hopelessly off the rails some days. When I catch myself, I go and make a cup of tea or coffee and try to hit the Re-Set button. Or I take some kind of action – like running up and down the stairs a few times. Once the energy gets in motion, that helps a lot. That’s a mighty fine old typewriter !

• Petrea - February 8, 2017 @ 19:17

I think the Re-Set button might work for me. Either that, or creating new work habits altogether. I get the long-form writing done at a regular time, but working on shorter submissions gets away from me. It’s probably because I don’t have a system.