Use It Or Lose It

(Los Angeles City Hall in the background)
On January 21, I joined millions as we exercised our right to free speech and peaceful assembly. Might as well use it while we’ve still got it.

We started in Pasadena early in the morning, where a huge crowd joined together outside City Hall.

Then we all found our way to Downtown Los Angeles.
The trains were overwhelmed with crowds. My friends and I took Uber.

No photo can describe what a crowd of 750,000 peaceful, earnest, united people looks and feels like.

(Me, Karen, Donna, and Karyn)
When your freedoms are restricted, so are mine. The reverse is also true. I am proud and grateful to have taken part in this historic day.

#City Hall#Donna Chaney#Karen E. Klein#Karyn O'Bryant#Los Angeles#Pasadena#Women's March

Comments

1. Lauren Kennedy - January 27, 2017 @ 03:16

Your photographs are fabulous…(and I never tire of seeing our beautiful City Hall). Your message is right to the point and clear. Brilliant!

• Petrea - January 27, 2017 @ 07:49

Thanks, Lauren. I wish I could have gotten a photo to describe the size of the crowd; every street in every direction was packed with people. I’m happy with these shots, though!

2. chris - January 27, 2017 @ 04:16

Did u take Uber back home?
    Kudos to u and your friends to making it to 2 marches…
    I am sure that day will go down in history and I hope this is just the beginning!

• Petrea - January 27, 2017 @ 07:51

Two friends took the train from Pershing Square, and I stayed with another and marched some more. Then we got on at Little Tokyo. The trains were packed everywhere, but it was easier to get home than to get downtown.

3. William Kendall - January 27, 2017 @ 11:06

Great that so many people came out!

• Petrea - January 27, 2017 @ 11:54

It was thrilling and heartening.

4. Lowell - January 27, 2017 @ 11:13

Well, none of this begins to compare with da Trumpf’s magnificent and glorious march down the halls of the West Wing with his minions singing his glories backed by the Moron Tuburculal Choir. I mean really, there must have been 2 or 3 million at least. And the media, of course, did a terrible job of reporting. Really sad. They said that at most there were 5 people. So sad. They’re trying to tear me down before I’ve been able to tear everything else down.

Seriously, I’m thrilled to see all these people; your photos are wonderful and capture the spirit of the event very well! I think protests like this on a regular basis are going to be instrumental in the resistance. Long live the Resistance!

• Petrea - January 27, 2017 @ 11:57

I know we’ll be marching April 15th (“Show Us Your Tax Returns), and April 29th (The Peoples’ Climate march). I’m also very concerned about the Dakota Access Pipeline and the people in ND whose lives and water supply are at stake. We’ve got work to do!

One of the call and response chants at the Women’s march:
      “Tell me what Democracy looks like!”
      “THIS is what Democracy looks like!” (meaning, a huge crowd of people, united in peaceful protest)

5. Jean Spitzer - January 29, 2017 @ 07:35

It is indeed what democracy looks like.

• Petrea - January 29, 2017 @ 07:45

🙂

6. Shelley - January 30, 2017 @ 00:43

I thought you’d be there, Petrea. I’m so glad you were. x0x

• Petrea - January 30, 2017 @ 10:55

Thanks, Shell, me too! I started getting ready the evening before by reading about the marches already underway in Australia and New Zealand!

7. Bellis - January 31, 2017 @ 12:54

I love your kitty hat, and thanks for marching! It must have been amazing to be with so many other like-minded, decent people. He won’t take any notice, but the rest of the world was very impressed.

• Petrea - January 31, 2017 @ 13:17

He’ll take notice. We’re not finished. 🙂

8. nathalie in avignon - February 2, 2017 @ 04:58

I love you saying that it was thrilling and heartening – I’m sure it was and I would have loved to march with you.

• Petrea - February 2, 2017 @ 09:24

Thank you, Nathalie. The worldwide support means everything.