Wilma Wednesday: SAD

Wilma, back porch, rainy day

Wilma does not suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. I’ve researched the symptoms. She has not lost interest in her favorite activities, nor has her appetite changed one bit. She’s not irritable, though she does have problems getting along with other dogs. She certainly does not feel worthless.

“I’m bored,” she says.

“You could go outside.”

“It’s wet.”

We’ve had a lot of rain. While that makes me happy, it makes Wilma SAD.

“No. It makes me bored.”

We have a little raincoat for her—

“The other dogs make fun of my raincoat.”

“Do you care what they think?”

She ponders this. “Maybe.”

She never used to care. This might be progress.

#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday#WilmaDialogs

Comments

1. chris - January 11, 2017 @ 04:36

Oh, they care! believe me… Our Cairn would look mortified anytime I’d put on her sweater… she hated it so much she somehow found a lose piece of yarn and pulled on it… she created the cropped top for dogs!. Be thankful Wilma has a raincoat.. 🙂

• Petrea - January 11, 2017 @ 08:19

It’s a nice rain slicker. I’d think the other dogs would be envious!

2. William Kendall - January 11, 2017 @ 09:03

Well, I don’t care for being out in the rain myself, so I can relate!

• Petrea - January 11, 2017 @ 09:35

I can, too, though around here it’s not the freezing rain you’re likely to get. With the drought, our rain feels more like relief than bad weather.

3. Lowell - January 11, 2017 @ 10:32

I don’t think that Ocala dogs would care what Wilma was wearing. It’s been kinda cold lately, so I think all of our dogs would want some sort of cover to keep the elements at bay (so to speak).

Unfortunately, it’s not that our dogs are unprejudiced or accepting, it’s that they’re too darn busy scratching and yipping and licking their privates!

You have my permission to share this intel with Wilma. Maybe it will make her feel less sad.

• Petrea - January 11, 2017 @ 11:27

This comes as good news to Wilma. Of course, now she’s asking if we can move to Florida.

4. Anonymous - January 11, 2017 @ 12:06

Poor bored Wilma. My dogs got excited when they walked after a rain shower because it enhanced all the smells. Note that I said AFTER. They don’t like being in the rain at all, especially if it falls on their heads. It’s too much like having a bath, isn’t it? How did these guys survive when they were wolves?

• Petrea - January 11, 2017 @ 14:59

No kidding. I’ve seen photos of wolves standing out in a snowstorm. Definitely not Wilma.

5. TheChieftess - January 11, 2017 @ 15:15

Kelly loved being out in the snow…storm or not! She told me she would never wear a coat or sweater because she has her own warm fur coat. She also said to tell Wilma it’s ok to wear that silly…er…nice raincoat monkey woman got her ’cause Wilma’s coat isn’t as thick and furry as Kelly’s.

• Petrea - January 11, 2017 @ 17:14

Kelly is furry and wise.

6. Jean Spitzer - January 12, 2017 @ 05:57

Wilma is lucky, for many reasons, including that she has not been introduced to the mortification that is boots. Something dogs hate but people like because it saves them from having to pick out pieces of salt from paws and from having to wash the paws after being outside on salted streets.

• Petrea - January 12, 2017 @ 08:13

Oh, thank goodness we don’t have salted streets! Wilma would hate boots. Jean, I don’t think I’ve never seen this many rainy days in a row here. It just keeps coming.

7. Shelley - January 13, 2017 @ 17:43

Poor Wilma. I, too, have felt shamed by the judgy looks of people who don’t understand one’s fashion choices.

• Petrea - January 13, 2017 @ 18:40

Fashion and Fluffballs? How dare they judge!