The Wind

2011 wind storm

Pasadena’s 2011 Wind Storm

I’m late with today’s post because I had a voice-over this morning (yay!) and because it’s a little more crazy out in the world than usual. It’s WINDY! A lot of stuff is blowing around, like lightweight furniture and heavy palm fronds. A whole tree uprooted and fell across two lanes of one freeway, which means no one’s getting anywhere via that route today.

It reminds me of a storm this time in 2011, almost exactly to the date. Overnight on November 30th the winds were wild and loud, and when we woke up on the morning of December 1st, mature trees were down all over Pasadena. Each end of our street was blocked by a fallen tree, and a couple of others had come down mid-block. That’s saying a lot when you’re talking about 90-year-old giant cedars.

No one was hurt, and not a home on our street was seriously damaged. We neighbors gathered in the morning in our pajamas and bathrobes, drinking our coffee and exclaiming.

It’s already a legend, the kind of experience that gets woven into stories. I’m working on it.

Comments

1. Anne Louise Bannon - December 2, 2016 @ 16:02

We had no power for 62 hours after that 2011 storm. So far, so good with this one. It’s not fun living in the 19th Century.

• Petrea - December 2, 2016 @ 16:56

I suppose so, but your burg has such sweet charms.

2. chris - December 3, 2016 @ 04:16

The fallen tree makes a nice frame for a photo op..
    Btw, why is it that Pasadena and the surrounding area lets their trees get so huge? They’re gorgeous- does the massive height scare the residents? Where I live the city is constantly pruning the oaks.

• Petrea - December 3, 2016 @ 07:56

The City of Pasadena has an Urban Forestry division that is out all day, every day, trimming trees and keeping them healthy. I don’t know why they let them get so tall, but I’m glad they do. Cedars are meant to be tall. There are even a couple of redwoods in my neighborhood, though I don’t know how they manage to get enough moisture. The trees that came down fell not because they were unhealthy, but because they were knocked over by 100 mph winds. Some species that didn’t fare well may be replanted: http://www.scpr.org/blogs/news/2012/07/17/9032/pasadena-wind-windstorm-tree-failure-report/

3. Lowell - December 3, 2016 @ 06:36

This looks much like Florida after a hurricane! We were in south Florida when Hurricane Andrew took out most of southwest Miami…lots of stuff down there and whole neighborhoods blown off the map. Our first home in Ocala had a number of very large water oaks, which are not very stable. We were always trimming to make sure that if we got hit with a storm they wouldn’t take out the house. 🙂

• Petrea - December 3, 2016 @ 07:59

Neighborhoods blown off the map sounds much worse than what we got. A 9% loss of trees changed our landscape, but in smaller ways.

4. William Kendall - December 3, 2016 @ 07:26

I’ve seen windstorms here. They can be quite a thing to live through- as long as they don’t do things like damage your house.

• Petrea - December 3, 2016 @ 08:00

For us it was dramatic and exciting. We lost some roof tiles. For others, there was the loss of a car or an outbuilding. One home in Pasadena was severely damaged when a tree fell on it, with people inside. It missed them entirely.

5. llandudnopictures - December 7, 2016 @ 02:40

Nasty! All that debris on and around the road, coupled with the distant figures, puts to mind (at least for me) a scene from The Walking Dead!

• Petrea - December 7, 2016 @ 08:16

Hello, Geoff! Nice to hear from you. This photo is from 2011, when we had a storm we can really call epic.
      Are you blogging again, perchance? In any case, thanks for your visit!