Hunkering Down

sport cars, Old Pasadena, Colorado Blvd.

This photo, taken on Colorado Blvd. about 5 years ago, is not a typical view of Old Pasadena in late November. You don’t usually see a lot of fancy cars lined up. Also, Old Pasadena is a shopping district, and starting today it’s going to be packed.

Pasadena’s holiday season is always jumping. There’s the shopping, of course. Then Hannukah and Christmas and Kwanzaa, then the Tournament of Roses Parade, which will be January 2nd this year. (Most years it’s the first, but if the first is a Sunday then we hold it on Monday, a tradition from the early 20th century that allows all good citizens to go to church.) Parade bleachers already loom high over the corner of Colorado Blvd. and Orange Grove at the Norton Simon Museum. More bleachers are going up right now along the parade route.

I’m not a lover of crowds, so now is my time to hunker down. I’m like a bear. Others are out having a good time in the brisk air (it’s brisk for us, anyway) and I’m in my cave, looking at my desktop map, trying to figure out how to get around the heaviest traffic to go find something to eat.

This is not a complaint. It’s kind of fun.

The streets will be deserted once again during the Rose Bowl Game. It’s one of my favorite times of year to venture out.

#holidays#Old Pasadena#Pasadena#Rose Bowl#sports cars#Tournament of Roses

Comments

1. chris - November 25, 2016 @ 11:26

I’m not a lover of crowds either!.. Where I live, if I go out around noon the traffic drives me crazy.. that’s when the nuts are out… My ideal time is before 10 am.. and yes 2 hrs. makes a big difference.. Weekends are worse.., You’d think everyone was trying to get out of town and only two roads lead out.. Its unbearable..,.

• Petrea - November 25, 2016 @ 13:29

Got to work around it, I guess. I don’t mind the auto traffic as much as I do the crowded stores. But I have some out-of-the-way secrets!

2. William Kendall - November 25, 2016 @ 12:47

Quite a set of cars!

• Petrea - November 25, 2016 @ 13:30

Agreed! I don’t know what was going on that day, but we do have the occasional car show around here.

3. Lowell - November 25, 2016 @ 15:33

I’m not sure I’ve ever been on this part of Colorado Blvd. In the mid to late 40s, we lived in LA, 1/2 way between downtown and the beach. On Jan. 1, I’d get up very early to deliver my newspapers in Beverly Hills/Hollywood and then we’d head to a friends house in Pasadena, a few blocks from Colorado Blvd. They’d sit up all night saving us a place at the curb. Great fun.

• Petrea - November 25, 2016 @ 15:47

You’ve probably been there, Lowell. I’m on the north side of the street, facing east and slightly south toward the corner of Colorado and Fair Oaks, Pasadena’s ground zero address-wise. You were lucky to have someone saving you a place!

4. Bellis - November 25, 2016 @ 23:37

I didn’t realise bears have desktops with maps to tell them which streets have trash collections that day. Always thought they followed the coyotes.

• Petrea - November 26, 2016 @ 09:25

My cave is kind of fancy. 🙂