Wilma Wednesday 4: Couch Murfing

Wilma, Wilmadialogs, couch, dog, dogs

We used to allow Wilma to nap on the couch. Or, more accurately, Wilma decided to get up there and we didn’t tell her to get down. Instead, we covered the couch in towels. We knew we shouldn’t spoil her, but we did.

When Wilma had surgery earlier this year, she wasn’t able to climb up. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to teach her that the couch was no longer her territory. At first it worked, but recently I’ve seen her gazing at the couch and making little “murf” sounds. She wants to get up there, but she knows she’s not supposed to.

This morning when I came out of the bathroom, I heard a crash and a scramble. I ran to the living room and found Wilma splayed on the floor next to the couch. She quickly recovered.

“Were you on the couch, Wilma?”

She didn’t answer. She just wagged her tail and gazed adoringly at me.

Dogs aren’t capable of lying, but I think she was being evasive.

#couch surfing#dogs#Wilma#Wilma Wednesday#WilmaDialogs

Comments

1. John Sandel YOUR HUSBAND - November 2, 2016 @ 10:24

“A Crash and A Scramble: The Wilma Sandel-Burchard Story.”

• Petrea - November 2, 2016 @ 12:06

It’ll be the sequel to “The Wilma Dialogs.”

2. Lowell - November 2, 2016 @ 10:32

Poor Wilma. She’s aggrieved. And because she’s aggrieved and feels she’s not going to be listened to, she asked me to serve as her agent. So, first question: Why, exactly, would you deny a beloved member of your family the use of the couch? Or the bed? Or whatever? Wilma has indicated that she will agree to you putting towels down but only because she loves you and wants you to be happy. She hopes that you will view her needs in the same fashion.

You are right about Wilma lying. She doesn’t. Her leg is hurting but that’s simply because she got a bit evasive, something she also doesn’t normally do. But she thinks other dogs and other breeds and cats, especially, are fully capable of lying if they so desire.

She continues to adore you and really doesn’t want to take this to court, so as her agent I implore you to reconsider the whole couch thing; remember, you may use towels.

Thank you for your patience and kindness toward this wonderful example of canininity.

Sincerely,

Lowell aka Alan Dershowitz.

• Petrea - November 2, 2016 @ 12:08

Lowell, you argue almost as convincingly as Wilma does! I will consult with my co-defendant, John Sandel MY HUSBAND, and see if we can accommodate the plaintive. Er, plaintiff.

3. chris - November 2, 2016 @ 13:10

I think she was checking to see that she smoothed out the wrinkles….Did u know dogs can do that with the swipe of their tail and face? 🙂

• Petrea - November 2, 2016 @ 13:58

I didn’t know that! Cats, though, always cleaning up after themselves.

4. William Kendall - November 2, 2016 @ 14:29

Wilma on or off the couch has something of a zen thing going on, I think.

• Petrea - November 2, 2016 @ 15:43

I could learn a lot from her.

5. TheChieftess - November 2, 2016 @ 18:15

Ach! Kelly would so sympathize with Wilma. She has managed to convince her Papa that the bed is best shared with her. But with my surgery she’s not been allowed up…Ohhhh the looks she gives us!!! Recently her papa has taken pity on her and let her up, leaving me to be the bad guy getting her down. If it wasn’t bad enough that Papa was her favorite…you should see the daggers in her eyes when I struggle to get her down…

• Petrea - November 2, 2016 @ 20:47

Oh, those looks, those eyes! They communicate everything. There’s no guile in a dog.

6. chris - November 3, 2016 @ 05:27

I was teasing about the tail… but the face, yep.. my dog would use her snout to help round out the blanket.. (u know how dogs go around and around on their blanket to form a barrier around them?) my dog would go around so many times i thought she;d go dizzy! then she would use his nose.. my cat uses her nose the same way..

• Petrea - November 3, 2016 @ 08:46