Writer’s Block

I’ve heard writers say, “I’m suffering from writer’s block.”

Fortunately, I don’t get writer’s block. Sometimes I get writer’s procrastination, as in I must pay the bills do laundry rake leaves clean off my desk take a shower weed the garden polish the silver knit a new sweater before I’m ready to write.

But if I will just sit down at the keyboard, I’ll find words. I’m not saying they’re good or interesting words, but that’s what editing is for.

And what’s this about suffering?

Experiencing a lasting illness is suffering. Enduring violence is suffering. Living in a refugee camp is suffering.

Writing is not suffering, nor is writer’s block (she says, dusting the sideboard.)

#fence#lock#Writer's Block

Comments

1. William Kendall - October 14, 2016 @ 09:00

That’s a good way to look at it.

• Petrea - October 14, 2016 @ 09:08

Do you do the same thing, William? Sometimes I get ideas while dusting the sideboard. It’s not all bad!

2. chris - October 14, 2016 @ 09:43

I agree, I can definitely see the ‘procrastination’ here… 🙂

• Petrea - October 14, 2016 @ 17:11

I like to make a beeline for the desk in the morning, before I see any dust.

3. Lowell/Jacob - October 14, 2016 @ 11:00

William’s right. But it’s still a huge pain in the ass. 🙂

• Petrea - October 14, 2016 @ 17:12

True. And true.

4. Anne Louise Bannon - October 14, 2016 @ 18:58

Yeah. If my house is really clean, that’s not good news, at least, not on the writing front. Sigh.

• Petrea - October 14, 2016 @ 19:37

I have to focus on one at a time. So I can write almost every day and clean almost nevery day.

5. Shelley - October 15, 2016 @ 22:13

‘Clean almost nevery day.’ I’m glad you write, Petrea.

• Petrea - October 16, 2016 @ 07:54

I’m glad you write, too, Shelley, you’re an inspiration.

6. Bellis - October 16, 2016 @ 04:28

Writing must be the passion of your life to be able to do it every day, and want to do it. I’ve never felt that, though I do like to compose in my head on country walks. Soon we’ll have devices that can take these thoughts and put them on paper, although the story might be interspersed with Oh, what’s that strange bird? or What a lovely flower! and other off-topic thoughts. By the way, do male writers see the dust? I know that male astronomers don’t get distracted by it.

• Petrea - October 16, 2016 @ 08:01

Do you remember what you compose in your head long enough to write it down when you get home? I’m always afraid if I come up with something good I’ll forget it, so I record it on my phone. Before that I used to take a note pad and just stop and write. I wrote half of Camelot & Vine on the Sam Merrill trail.