Don’t Put All Your Eggs in One Bowl

Lizzie, eggs, bowl

My neighbor Lizzie raises exotic chickens. She calls them her “girls.” I’ve met the chickens, though seeing their eggs is enough to demonstrate their variety.

Such a lovely assortment makes a photo I like a lot, and it demonstrates a lesson I apparently have to learn over and over again. You know which lesson I mean.

A freelancer has to juggle clients, deadlines, and even finances. It would be so much easier if we could depend on just one client; if you’re not a good juggler, juggling eggs is not a pretty picture. But if you’ve only got one thing to juggle and that one thing breaks, you’re not a juggler at all.

Let this be a reminder to us all, and I emphatically include myself in that!

#bowl#eggs

Comments

1. Lowell - October 7, 2016 @ 11:19

Nor should you put all your eggs in one basket. This reminds me of when I was very young and visiting my grandmother on her farm in northern Minnesota; she would ask me to collect the eggs which was great fun because I had to reach under the hens and they were all warm and fuzzy. Sometimes, one of them would get mad at me and peck at my hand but not hard enough to hurt.

Keep juggling. I think you are doubtless quite good at it.

• Petrea - October 7, 2016 @ 12:15

I love your story of the hens, Lowell. I’ve never gotten to do that. I should ask Lizzie if she’ll let me try.

2. TheChieftess - October 7, 2016 @ 12:02

They look like pastel Easter eggs!!!

• Petrea - October 7, 2016 @ 12:15

So pretty, aren’t they?

3. chris - October 7, 2016 @ 12:09

Beautiful color!.. I don’t think I’d want to break those open..

• Petrea - October 7, 2016 @ 12:16

If I had hens and a regular supply of eggs, I think I could do it!

4. William Kendall - October 7, 2016 @ 14:54

Quite colourful!

• Petrea - October 7, 2016 @ 16:48

🙂

5. Anonymous - October 8, 2016 @ 00:05

That’s a beautiful photo. And I would love to own hens. They’re very intelligent (just look at the ones begging by the cars near the stables) and affectionate. But you’be got me worried. Did you put all your baskets in one egg and it’s cracked?

• Petrea - October 8, 2016 @ 09:21

Thanks, Anonymous. I almost did. Whew! Saved in the nick of time.

6. Nathalie - October 10, 2016 @ 00:09

Very nice stories around hens and eggs.

Rather than talking about juggling though, I would have written a story about diversity here. Small, large, brown, white, aren’t they all eggs? Shouldn’t they all be treated the same? What sense would it make to say that unfortunately brown eggs have a larger chance of being dropped, cracked and damaged because they don’t have access to nice padded boxes like white eggs do? We’d think it’s crazy, wouldn’t we?

• Petrea - October 10, 2016 @ 08:46

Nathalie, you’ve been watching American politics, haven’t you? My hope is that most Americans agree with you, including me. What we’re seeing right now on our political stage is a shock and an embarrassment, and I don’t mean Ms. Clinton.

7. Shelley - October 15, 2016 @ 21:45

When you like streamlining, having just one shiny and bright basket is a hard temptation to resist as it feels like having a warm security blanket snuggled into a nest. Mmm, cosy!! But important to resist if one can. Keep on juggling, dear Petrea. You’d make a court jester envious.

• Petrea - October 16, 2016 @ 07:49

You’ve got me in a nutshell (or an eggshell). I do like streamlining. Yet I’m a multi-tasker! Go figure.