Feets

feet, surgery, bunion, Wilma

Tied in a bow! How’s that for service?

It wasn’t until after I had my bunion fixed that someone told me bunion surgery is a tough one. Good thing I didn’t know! I haven’t needed much in the way of painkillers. What I have needed is assistance.

I’m supposed to stay off my feet, so my husband is doing everything from laundry to cooking to cleaning. That means less attention for a certain someone named Wilma, who keeps sending worried looks to the contraption on my foot. “Your paw looks weird,” she says. “Can your fashion sense get any worse?”

#feet#surgery#Wilma

Comments

1. chris - September 30, 2016 @ 10:58

I’ve got one too!..My friend’s mom had surgery on both feet, can u believe that? How long do u have to be off your feet? Bet Wilma is wondering why your foot has doubled in size…
    Good luck w/the recovery…

• Petrea - September 30, 2016 @ 11:53

My mother-in-law did both feet at the same time. Pretty amazing. You need to have someone to wait on you, if you can. The dr told me the time off my feet depends on how I heal. 3-6 weeks, I guess.

2. chris - September 30, 2016 @ 12:05

omg,,,3-6 weeks? i would go crazy not being able to do a thing….

• Petrea - September 30, 2016 @ 12:45

It may happen!

3. TheChieftess - September 30, 2016 @ 13:25

Love the new look! Tres chic! I just recently changed my newest fashion accessory from a walker to a much more stylish cane! Kelly prefers the cane too! Happy healing 😘

• Petrea - September 30, 2016 @ 16:59

John borrowed a cane for me but I don’t want to use it!

4. Gina - September 30, 2016 @ 14:32

Sorry I didn’t give you enough warning. I do remember telling you that it was NOT minor, and that you would not recognize your foot. I had four bunions removed at once, in 1973, and I had no one to take care of me. I was on disability for 6 weeks. Of course i,was young and strong then. I had my first panic attack and first serious onslaught of paralyzing depression a couple of days after I got home from the hospital. Then I got better.

• Petrea - September 30, 2016 @ 17:01

I remember when you had this done, so long ago! You were a lot younger than most people who have this surgery. I admit I’m feeling a little down in the dumps, and I know I’m lucky to have John’s help.

5. Bellis - October 3, 2016 @ 03:53

I’d go mad if I was unable to walk, but I’d get one of those knee-holding walkers, which my friend’s daughter is using right now after foot surgery. Remember T. H. Huxley saying, “Oh if only I could break my leg, how much reading I could get done?” But it doesn’t work that way, does it? It’s hard to concentrate and heal at the same time. What about your voiceover work? I have a bunion too and I don’t want my foot to go the way my mother’s has, with one toe over the other. How bad does it have to be before surgery? Here’s hoping for good healing. Let Wilma lick it better.

• Petrea - October 3, 2016 @ 07:58

Hi Bellis! You ask a lot of very good questions.

Wilma’s not allowed to lick it for another couple of weeks. No moisture! I’m taping a bag over it for showering.
      Knee walker: looks uncomfortable to me, and I can’t find any information about doctor recommendations. I’m walking short distances and I can get from the house to the car. Each day is better.

Regarding work, that’s easy. John can drive me to the studio or I can record at home.

Let’s see, you also asked how bad it has to be before surgery. Mine wasn’t that bad, it was just painful. The doctor told me the surgery won’t reverse itself, so it’s best to get it done when you’re young and strong. I know you, and you will hate having to be off your foot for weeks, but if it’s hurting you now it might be worth it. (You might want to hire help for the first few days if Richard has to be at work.)

I am getting lots of reading done! And writing! (Webs surfing too, I admit.)

6. Lowell - October 3, 2016 @ 05:44

Lucky about the pain. Sounds more like a nuisance than anything else; especially for your husband! Heh, heh. And Wilma! I’m sure you’re glad it’s over, though and that you’ll soon be back on both feet, so to speak. I’d say just take it easy and enjoy your leisure, but I have a feeling you are one of those people who need to be doing things! The nicest thing is that you will recover! 🙂

• Petrea - October 3, 2016 @ 08:03

Thanks, Lowell! It’s been a nuisance, but John’s been valiant. So far I’m not terribly bored, but it’s only been a week and I’ve got five more to go!

7. William Kendall - October 5, 2016 @ 14:43

Ouch! At least Wilma makes for good company in the meantime.

• Petrea - October 7, 2016 @ 11:07

Wilma protects me from squirrels, the mailman, and anything that beeps. She’s working very hard these days.

8. Lauren Kennedy - October 6, 2016 @ 12:21

Oh gosh, Petrea. Doesn’t look like much fun for you but having said that I do like your photograph. I had a six month stint of staying off a broken ankle a while back. Take care and you’ll be back on both feet in no time. All the best, Lauren xx

• Petrea - October 6, 2016 @ 19:00

Six weeks is a lot less than six months! I’m actually getting around very well, and it’s only been 9 days since the surgery. Thanks, Lauren.

9. Linda - October 7, 2016 @ 06:32

It is great that your husband has been such a help and support! I hope you heal quickly with very little, if any, pain.

• Petrea - October 7, 2016 @ 09:35

Thanks, Linda! That’s exactly what’s happening!

10. Shelley - October 15, 2016 @ 21:36

I love the bow ~ a valiant attempt at taking the aesthetics up a notch!

Sounds like J and Wilma are taking wonderful care of their special person. And sounds like you’re progressing beautifully ~ I hope you’re safely up on a ‘just like new’ tootsie very soon. Meanwhile, enjoy the extra TLC. 🙂

• Petrea - October 16, 2016 @ 07:48

Tootsie is not quite like new yet, but much more than it was last week. I feel progress every day! Thanks, Shell.