Culprits

hole, garbage can, trash can, sign
We’re having a drought in southern California, and it looks like it’ll last my lifetime and beyond. We haven’t watered the grass in months, so it’s getting weedy. But I don’t care about the grass. I care about the trees, and they need their water.

The soil is hard and dry and the water runs off into the street, so I dug a hole to deep-water the trees in the parkway. I didn’t want anyone to fall in, and I asked John to flag it while I ran an errand. He made a sign.

The next morning, we stepped out on the porch and saw this.

IMG_6405 - Version 2

IMG_6408 - Version 2

“Rosemarinus Officinalis,” “Door,” “House.”

IMG_6409 - Version 2

That’s “car,” and “other car.”

IMG_6411-2

“Tree” and “Sidewalk.” In case you were wondering.

IMG_6412 - Version 2

IMG_6416 - Version 2

I love our neighbors (or, as we like to call them, the culprits).

And I’m keeping the hole. I want those trees to stay green.

#drought#hole#home#house#signs

Comments

1. William Kendall - May 13, 2016 @ 13:16

Oh, that is funny!

• Petrea - May 13, 2016 @ 13:44

Yes! We didn’t take them down for several days. I’m still giggling about it.

2. Katie - May 13, 2016 @ 16:00

What fun to have neighbors with a good sense of humor! I especially like “Rosemarinus Officinalis” because it sounds like it’s a made up name for Rosemary, but I looked it up and it’s actually real! I say your culprit is a green thumb.

• Petrea - May 13, 2016 @ 16:15

Or they could be well-read. I didn’t know the Latin! In any case, we have great neighbors.

3. Ann Erdman - May 14, 2016 @ 04:13

Thank goodness they provided you with clues. You could have gone your “hole” life never knowing which was the car and which was the other car!

• Petrea - May 14, 2016 @ 06:33

That would have been absolute confusion. I could have mistaken the tree for the door, then who knows where I’d be?

4. magiceye - May 18, 2016 @ 21:47

Fun neighbours!! 🙂

• Petrea - May 19, 2016 @ 09:32

I agree!

5. Jacob - May 19, 2016 @ 04:52

That is hilarious. You have some fun neighbors. Or crazy neighbors! But droughts are not funny. The need for water is ever present. Our soil is very sandy and doesn’t hold water well so the grass looks dry and brown in just a few days after a rain.

• Petrea - May 19, 2016 @ 09:34

I never think of Florida as water-needy. You’re educating me.
      The reason our yard looks green is that it’s all weeds, the kind that grow here naturally and don’t need water. We haven’t watered it since last summer! Unfortunately, the weeds continue to grow so we still have to mow.