Hurry

Millard Canyon, path, Brown Mountain,

On my hike with John yesterday, I stopped to take a picture. He went ahead and I said I’d catch up. I wasn’t stopped for long but he got a good lead on me, and I was determined to catch him. Determined. So I rushed.

Through this! Through sun and shade and generous air. Through solitude, and the possibilities of thought.

Sometimes I’m all about getting things done. I rush, hell-bent, to—what? To hell, I suppose. What the hell is my hurry? I’m living in heaven right now. See? I got a picture of it.

#Brown Mountain#hiking#Millard Canyon

Comments

1. William Kendall - April 22, 2016 @ 14:12

Beautifully serene!

• Petrea - April 22, 2016 @ 14:14

I aspire to serenity, William, I really do.

2. Jacob - April 23, 2016 @ 06:47

You hit on something important in this post. I’m always rushing, too. To what end? I dunno, most of the time. Love the photo. It reminds me of when Lois Anne’s grandmother rode a Greyhound bus from Minneapolis to Phoenix to visit us and she wanted to climb Camelback Mountain. I thought it too daunting for me, but she just took off and left me in her dust!

• Petrea - April 23, 2016 @ 09:15

Maybe it’s an American thing, from our Puritan heritage. We’ve been taught that hard work will get us somewhere and it’s true, but there’s more to life. Sounds like Lois Anne’s grandmother had the combination figured out.

3. Katie - April 23, 2016 @ 15:09

Such a gorgeous photo! Definitely worth stopping to photograph this lovely scene, and for the lesson learned about slowing down to enjoy heaven on earth.

• Petrea - April 23, 2016 @ 15:44

Plus I had to catch my breath!

4. Ann Erdman - April 23, 2016 @ 18:47

I was a little out of breath just reading this post! I can’t imagine hurrying down that narrow dirt path, especially with all the beautiful surroundings to observe and enjoy while there is unevenness below the soles. But when we need to rush, we do what it takes.

By the way, I mentioned you and Story Kitchen in my latest blog post:

• Petrea - April 23, 2016 @ 19:59

Thank you for the mention! I linked to a poem for you.

I really should take this path slowly because you’re right, it’s uneven, and especially risky going downhill.

5. magiceye - April 25, 2016 @ 21:56

A mysterious path…

• Petrea - April 26, 2016 @ 08:52

Ah, but I know where it goes…

6. Bellis - April 26, 2016 @ 08:43

How lovely that the trail is so lush right now. Men seem to be more goal-focussed and just want to get to the end of the hike so they can turn round. You’ll have to train John. (Though it hasn’t worked with Richard). Me, I like to amble and look at nature. And my very slow dog has shown me that you see some very interesting things when you go at 2 mph.

• Petrea - April 26, 2016 @ 08:54

We’re both trying to get some exercise and enjoy ourselves while doing so. He’s bigger and stronger than I am, so no wonder he’s faster!

7. Bellis - April 27, 2016 @ 09:00

I’ve just read some German research that found that the best way to stop headaches and migraines was daily aerobic exercise. So I guess keeping up with John is a good thing.

• Petrea - April 27, 2016 @ 09:40

That’s right! Today is hiking day!