The Visuals

JPL, Hahamongna, nature, San Gabriel Mountains, Boz

I think I’ll read publishing guru Joanna Penn’s excellent article about visual marketing over and over again. She’s got statistics, suggestions, and pictures (of course) showing how visuals attract buyers. Thus the popularity of such platforms as Instagram and Pinterest.

It’s nothing new. Marketers have always known our eyes can lead our thoughts and actions. It’s why logos exist. It’s why experts study the effect of colors on the psyche. Even Khufu knew the power of the visual image.

The images we use on our blogs, Facebook pages, and other social media platforms say something about us. At least I hope that’s true, because I have some favorites.

#art#Boz#Hahamongna

Comments

1. chris - April 15, 2016 @ 11:14

Love it!….. is that Boz in the background?

• Petrea - April 15, 2016 @ 15:49

It is! A favorite, nostalgic photo.

2. William Kendall - April 15, 2016 @ 11:53

I guess my blogs would say a whole lot about fondness for cats, dogs, and snarkiness.

• Petrea - April 15, 2016 @ 15:49

Oh my gosh, William, your posts are so full of great visuals! To me it says all of that, plus intelligence.

3. Jacob - April 18, 2016 @ 03:50

I’m not sure what these things are but they do grab my attention! Not sure what my blogs would say – probably would have something to do with eclecticism. 🙂

• Petrea - April 18, 2016 @ 09:07

I guess you’d call it found art. The man who made these would balance things he found and create shapes on the landscape. (By the way, that’s Boz in the background.)

4. Bellis - April 18, 2016 @ 06:27

Ah, I remember those and the Leo who made them. You’re so right about visuals. Attractive images are, for me, better than a thousand words. That’s why I’m so depressed about the women’s clothing for sale nowadays. Everything seems to be dull grey, dull blue, or black, and the fabrics look like they’ve been washed far too often in a laundromat. I’d love to be able to wear the gorgeous patterns and bright colors of Indian women, wouldn’t you? Bring back the hippy styles!

• Petrea - April 18, 2016 @ 09:06

I like grey! But I sometimes look at my wardrobe and lament at the color that’s missing. How about stripes?

5. Ann Erdman - April 21, 2016 @ 15:02

I find far too often that images posted on Instagram and Pinterest for marketing purposes are just that — images with no additional information whatsover, no relevant hashtags, no clickable links, no descriptions/captions. I wish we could wake small business owners up to the fact that a simple image simply won’t do. But I guess everyone’s an expert, right?!

• Petrea - April 21, 2016 @ 18:15

I don’t think you can posts links within an instagram post, but you can change links in Pinterest by editing the pin. Relevant hashtags are popular (overly so!) on instagram, I think. As you are speaking of marketing purposes, anyone using instagram for marketing has to have their link in their bio, then hopefully they use the pictures as branding and enticement.

Lately I’ve been using Pinterest for two things: one, to save photos I like just because I like them; and two, to save photos for reference for writing projects.

6. magiceye - April 22, 2016 @ 06:00