Craving Adventure

Sierra Madre Villa, Sierra Madre Villa Station, Metro Gold Line, Gold LineSierra Madre Villa Station

I dream of Paris, but I’ll settle for Azusa.

I crave adventure. I fear it, too, but my craving is the stronger emotion of the two. Travel is my favorite form of adventure, and I really do want to go to Paris, and London, and Prague, and Lisbon, and…

It’s fine to sit at my desk in my pajamas, all cozy and in control, but after a while I’ve got to do something different. A walk in the neighborhood is good. Hiking in the foothills is wonderful. Travel to another town, better yet another country, is ideal.

But travel is not in my schedule or my budget right now. So, on an afternoon off, my husband John and I hopped on the new commuter train and headed east to Azusa, California for lunch. It’s not a BritRail pass, but it will do for now.

How do you change up your routine?

#adventure#Azusa#Sierra Madre Villa Station#travel

Comments

1. Glow61 - April 1, 2016 @ 06:48

Thought I recognized that platform bridge!

Changing things up is travel, too. Get out of the familiar. In the five years since relocating from SoCal to NoCal e’ve made a few trips, most of them visits to some of the many old California agricultural towns. But there is still much to see here. I do miss living in close proximity to all the excellent hiking trails in the SGV – top O’ Lake Ave to Mt. Wilson, Angeles Crest, etc. There are those NoCal places to live where you step out your door and hike steepening hills, but not in this city. There are some nice flat trails and of course, the bike path rules. But you want a hike? You drive to the Sierras or Yosemite or …

• Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 09:18

Oh, those great hikes! Next adventure: I pack a lunch and head out for a whole day.

2. William Kendall - April 1, 2016 @ 08:50

I think when I need to get away from it all I go back to nature. Fortunately one doesn’t need to go far.

• Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 09:17

I’m fortunate in that way, too, William. Nature is renewal.

3. Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 09:16

4. Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 09:19

Obviously I’m learning how to use the comment section…

5. Bellis - April 1, 2016 @ 13:54

I’m with William. Nature’s the place to go, and there are a huge number of forests and rivers to explore here in the Munich area. If I was still in Pasadena, I’d love to ride the train to Azusa, stopping off at each station to admire the artwork.

• Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 15:25

We didn’t get off at all the stations, Bellis, but I’ll do it one of these days. It’s just so nice to know the train is there.

6. Bonnie Schroeder - April 1, 2016 @ 14:08

Nice photo, Petrea. And bravo, exploring adventures we have so close to home. Made me want to try it, too.

• Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 15:26

We were flabbergasted by the Metro maps, Bonnie. We can go all the way to Long Beach.

7. Glow61 - April 1, 2016 @ 14:40

Looking forward to reading about the day-long hike! Er, should you post it.

• Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 15:27

I might, we shall see. I’ve never done one that long, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do.

8. Kim Perez - April 1, 2016 @ 15:22

Travel is the best, but also not in my schedule or budget these days. I have visions of just getting on a local city bus and taking it wherever it goes, but I never really do that either because I’m too comfy in my routines or too busy or just too lazy or all of the above 🙂

• Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 15:29

Oh Kim, I know exactly what you mean! When an appointment canceled and we realized we had the afternoon free, John was ready to go in minutes. I found myself hesitating, for all of those reasons! So I’m very glad we did it. We both needed a change, however brief.

9. Shell Sherree - April 1, 2016 @ 21:44

A lunchtime getaway sounds wonderful, Petrea! Trying someplace new for coffee is often all I need for a change.

• Petrea - April 1, 2016 @ 21:58

Every time I learn of a new coffee place I email a certain friend and tell her about it. We’ve gotten to know each other by exploring coffee places together. Always a little adventure.

10. Ann Erdman - April 2, 2016 @ 02:09

I like to learn something new. I have always been filled with curiosity.

• Petrea - April 2, 2016 @ 09:18

Learning is adventure, too!

11. Irina - April 8, 2016 @ 12:32

I love the minimalistic look and dzen feeling of your new web-home very much. I hope you will be very comfortable here.

I dream for the woods and wild nature and looks like my little inner universe shrinking, not expanding as it did for the last several years. Feels like life is some kind of natural breathing, with “inhale stage” now. And logically, woods are preferable to big cities. And so interesting to observe the changes in me as a outsider and to stick to the daily routine, to adore the routine.

• Petrea - April 8, 2016 @ 13:59

Thank you, Irina. I hope to be there when you exhale, so see what new art it brings.